When you are going to move out, it is always helpful to have a plan. Here comes our step-by-step timeline. Check it out:
You have to start organising the moving two months ago.
- Go through each room of your home and think about what you will get rid of and what you’ll keep. Decide if any items will need extra insurance coverage or special packing;
- Research – we mean you should start investigating for the best moving companies in your area (town/city). A quote on the phone is usually not enough so you’d better request an on-site estimate;
- Create a moving binder – that binder will serve you to keep track of everything – all your receipts, estimates, inventory;
- Organise school records – you have to go to your kid’s school and arrange for his/her records to be transferred to the new school district.
When only six weeks remain, you should follow those steps:
- Order supplies – order some boxes and other supplies such as bubble wrap, tape, permanent marks. Don’t forget about the special containers such as wardrobe boxes and dish barrels;
- If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it – we are talking about such things that you may don’t want to move. But you still can take advantage of them – supplies for home sanitising, perishable or frozen foods;
- Take measurements – you should check the room dimensions at your new house. It’s very important to make sure that larger furniture will fit through the door;
It’s just one month left till moving out:
- Confirm your arrangements with your chosen company-mover. Get written confirmation of your costs, moving date and any other details;
- Start packing – begin with the items you use rarely, such as the croquet set or waffle iron. Note which items will require additional insurance because of their special value (computer, TV, etc.);
- Label – clearly number each box and label it with its contents. Don’t forget to write the room that the box is destined for;
- Separate valuables – add some important items such as jewelry to a safe box, so you will transport it personally. Put the mover’s estimate there, too. So you will need it for reference on the day you actually move;
- Make a change of your address – you must either go to the local post office to fill a change-of-address form or do it online;
- Notify important parties – inform the following parties for your moving: brokerage firms, banks, your company’s human resources, utility companies.
There are two weeks left:
- Arrange to be off from work on the particular day;
- Take your car to the mechanic to see if it needs any services. In case you live in a house rental, you will definitely need help from post tenancy cleaners;
- Contact the moving company to reconfirm the arrangements.
Some days before:
- Defrost the freezer;
- Plan for the payments to the company-mover.
On the moving day itself:
- Verify – ensure that the truck from the moving company will show up, etc.;
- Take the inventory.